The six step guide to OFSTED registration for nannies
So the family you’re working for want you to become OFSTED registered? Simple, you think. What do I need and where do I sign up? And then you hit a blank.
Below are 6 steps to OFSTED registration for nannies, au pairs and mother’s helps, which OFSTED groups together and calls ‘home childcarers’.
- Decide who is paying for what. It’s customary for the family to pay the fee for registration and if you’ve already been hired based on your current qualifications they should pay for any upgrades.
- Make sure you meet the requirements. You need training in the common core skills, an approved paediatric first aid certificate and nanny insurance before you apply.
- Register for a Government Gateway account
- Go to OFSTED Online and log in using the Government Gateway account you just created to fill in the application to become a ‘Home based childcarer’ on the ‘voluntary part of the OFSTED Childcare Register’.
- Apply for your DBS check via Capita
- When you receive a request from OFSTED to send your First Aid certificate, send them a photocopy and wait for your certificate to arrive!