Meet the agency: Nannies Inc
This month meet Emma, London nanny consultant at Nannies Inc, one of the biggest London agencies placing nannies in London, throughout the UK and internationally.
How long has your agency been established?
Nannies Incorporated has been established since 1989 and we are very proud that 26 years later we are the trusted nanny agency in London and worldwide. Many of our clients, maternity nurses and nannies have been loyal to us and keep using our services over and over again. We pride ourselves on our caring relationships with candidates and clients and are always on the lookout for new experienced candidates.
What inspired you to start or work for this agency?
Annie Martin founded Nannies Incorporated in 1989 after finding that her job in the legal world was not compatible with having a family. Having had her first baby and having employed a maternity nurse herself, she decided to set up a nanny agency in London with the view to expand internationally. Being a very busy mum with three children and having employed maternity nurses and nannies for over 15 years, her hands on experience has been very valuable.
My name is Emma Henderson, I started my career as a Primary School Teacher and through my childcare training, I gained many friends who went onto become London Nannies. After graduating, I looked to become a daily nanny in London too and I wanted to join Nannies Incorporated as a live-in Nanny, but spotted they were also looking for a new Recruitment Consultant… I left the interview as their new London Nanny Consultant and I’ve been working here for three years now! I enjoy working at our office on Regent Street helping nannies find their dream jobs!
Between me and Jana in London, Katharina and Sophie in Paris and Delphine in Dubai, we have a very strong team spirit and the experience and support of Annie is always great and beneficial. I am confident that nannies and clients can see that we are caring people.
What areas do you cover?
Nannies Incorporated has offices in London, Paris & Dubai. We specialise in permanent placements in Central London (covering areas such as Chelsea, Fulham, Clapham, Kensington, Knightsbridge, Notting Hill etc.) and Overseas (Paris, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Monaco, Hong Kong, Geneva, Moscow etc.).
What are the minimum requirements to register with you?
We place maternity nurses, nannies and governesses. Our typical London Nanny will have at least 2 -3 years’ experience working as a nanny in the home setting, ideally with a childcare qualification.
For overseas, our clients tend to require a minimum of 5 years’ nanny experience and usually need a qualified nanny. It can also depend on what the family are looking for as well, as we can get varying requests.
Our typical maternity nurse will ideally have a minimum of 3 years newborn experience and hold a maternity nursing certificate.
What do you look for in nannies who come to register?
It is important for us to meet all nannies for a face to face interview. Aside from the usual (police check, first aid, checkable references etc.), we look for career nannies with a responsible caring attitude, a genuine interest to be around children, and the ability to provide consistent care.
Instinct is an important tool in the recruitment process and I always consider whether the candidate is someone I would feel happy to have in my home and to be responsible for my child.
What do your clients expect to see in a nanny?
• Relevant experience with same age children
• Knowledgeable about childcare
• Positive thinking
• Caring personality
• Commitment to stay with the family for a reasonable time
• Confidence to be able to act under pressure and emergencies
How can nannies improve their chances of getting a job through you?
• By sending a reasonably well written CV with all relevant diplomas/references
• Being objective about what they can expect depending on their experience
• Experience – with checkable references
• Flexibility – putting needs of clients first
• Availability – free time for interviews
• Reliability – turning up to interviews on time
What post-placement support do you provide?
We always follow up with both candidates and clients. It is important to make sure the nanny is settling into the family and is happy with her new job. We advise on “teething problems”, we never ask a nanny to stay in a position if she is not happy. We are always a phone call away if needed.
What’s your top tip for nannies looking for work?
• Before registering with any agency, ask yourself what type of family you really want to work for, which area/country. Don’t change your mind in the middle of the search.
• Have your CV, references, photo, and documents neatly ready before you start contacting the agency. Be explicit about what you have done, ages of children, reasons for leaving. Talk about problems you may have had. It is better not to be shy and to deal with the matter head on, with the support of the agency.
• Be confident about yourself, but be realistic as well.
• A good agency will help you find the appropriate position at the time of your career.
• Visit our blog for further interview tips.