Heatwave Safety Advice
As the hot weather we’ve been experiencing in the UK is set to continue until the end of July, we’ve put together some advice to ensure that everyone stays safe this summer!
1. Stay in the shade, especially between 11am-3pm when the temperature is at its highest.
2. Wear light, breathable, cotton clothing that covers as much skin as possible.
3. Wear a hat and sunglasses.
4. Use Factor 50+ sunscreen for children and babies on all bare skin including hands, feet, legs, arms, neck and face.
5. Have cool, fresh water readily available throughout the day and night.
6. Ensure that your child drinks plenty of cool water.
7. Keep curtains and blinds closed in rooms that face the sun to keep the temperature indoors lower.
8. Put white paper or light coloured material over windows to reflect the light and keep heat out. Remember that darker material can make rooms hotter!
9. Have cool baths and showers.
10. Check up on vulnerable neighbours or relatives regularly.
11. Never leave children or dogs alone in hot cars.
Remember that whilst babies and young children are most at risk in extreme temperatures, it’s also important that you take care of yourself.